There’s only a few hours left in the work day, & I know what you’re thinking…ugh, what am I going to make for dinner? Let’s face it–your husband’s going to be starving and if you have kiddos they’re probably asking you every 5 minutes, “Mom, what’s for dinner? When’s it going to be ready? Can I have something else? I don’t like that.” I don’t have any kids of my own yet, but I know all too well these are the questions that will haunt me someday!
Dinner seems to be the time of day that so many people dread, but eating well doesn’t require standing in the kitchen for hours slaving over a hot stove. Thanks to the best invention EVER aka the Crockpot, you can throw this easy meal together in less than 5 minutes & have a tasty, nutritious dinner waiting for you when you drop your purse and shoes at the door.
24 oz (1 1/2) lbs chicken breast
14.4 oz can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
8 oz frozen corn
14.4 oz can fat free chicken broth
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp cayenne pepper
salt to taste
- Combine chicken broth, beans (drained), corn, tomatoes, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper and salt in the crock pot.
- Season chicken breast with salt and lay on top.
- Cook on low for 8 – 10 hours or on high for 4 to 6 hours.
- Thirty minutes before serving, shred the chicken.
- Stir & adjust salt and seasoning to taste.
- Serve over rice, on tortillas or with tortilla chips.
And just like that you basically have homemade Chipotle or Qdoba or whatever your vice is! A special thanks to Skinnytaste for the yummy recipe–I omitted some of the ingredients to suit my taste.